COCONUT JERK CURRY WITH CHICKEN
- Here is an all time favorite and tasty spin on cooking with Jerk seasoning. If you like coconut curries you are in for a real treat. This dish is also good with thin sliced pork or shrimp. Note: For shrimp, 1–2 minutes each side. For extra flavor sauté meats with pure virgin coconut oil.
- Serves 4 Heat Level: Hot
- I lb. chicken thigh meat, skinned and boned 2 Tbsp. coconut oil or olive oil for cooking Marinade: 2 limes, juiced 2 Tbsp. Jerk Rub (Make your own–see Jerk recipe below)
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed 1 tsp. sea salt Sauce: 2 cup shallots or onion minced 2 cup red bell pepper, chopped coarse
- 1-2 habanero or Red Savina chiles, stemmed, seeded, minced (adjust to taste) 4 cup cilantro stems, minced 1 tsp. ginger, fresh grated 1 16-oz. can coconut milk 2 Tbsp. Jerk Rub
- 4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped for garnish
- 1. Preheat a large heavy skillet and oil to medium high. Place chicken pieces in skillet with space between so they will cook without stewing in juices. Brown chicken on both sides and remove to a bowl and set aside. 2. Put shallots into skillet and sauté until translucent. Add bell pepper, habanero, cilantro stems and sauté for about 1 minute. 3. Stir in coconut milk, ginger, Jerk Rub and bring to a low boil. Add chicken pieces and their juices, cover with mixture. Reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 20 minutes, turning chicken once.
- Serve over a bed of basmati rice, with the following salad.
- © 2017 Larry Noggle • www.peppahead.com
TROPICAL FRUIT SALAD
PEPPAHEAD’S JERK RUB
4 Tbsp. Allspice (lightly roasted) 3 Tbsp. Cinnamon 4 Tbsp. Coriander2 tsp. Clove 1/2 tsp. Nutmeg2 tsp. Garlic granules1 Tbsp. White pepper2 tsp. Ginger (sifted) 1/5 tsp. De Arbol2 tsp. ChipotleThuroughly mix together and store in airtight contanier away from light, air, moisture, and heat. These highly fragrant aromatics are best refrigerated or frozen for long term storage.